ConDoor Door Solutions is a leading producer of insulated overhead doors for commercial and residential buildings. The company has three production sites in The Netherlands and Hungary, where 175 employees work daily on the development of tailor-made sustainable doors — translating the wishes of their customers into high-quality products.
Discover the solution created by Synadia
Synadia had to tackle challenges one by one:
- The production line was equipped with multiple ultra-high resolution industrial cameras;
- Light conditions were changed to high-frequency LED lamps;
- Local software for handheld devices and cameras was provided and configured (as barcodes of quality inspection objects are scanned, images are taken, cropped, stitched together and stored in S3).
- A web portal was created in the AWS Cloud and could be used to respond to quality complaints.
In this case Synadia built a three-tier solution in Ireland. VPC is spanned across three availability zones. Route 53 serves application requests and forwards them to CloudFront with Elastic Load Balancer serving as the origin. Elastic Load Balancer distributes requests across all zones based on the health of resources forming Web & Application layer.
Instead of classic EC2, Synadia used ECS Fargate clusters for Web & Application layer for this project.
Redis ElastiCache was placed between Application and Database layers improving the performance of the solution by storing frequently accessed data items in memory, so that these items are retrieved without the need to query the database layer.
All infrastructure was deployed as code by Terraform using SSM to store all parameters necessary for the deployment job. S3 was used to store images, logs and Terraform state, SNS was used for notification purposes.
The list of key services includes: CloudWatch, EC2, ElastiCache, Application Load Balancer, Key Management Service, Relational Database Service (Aurora Aurora PostgreSQL), SSM Parameter Store, S3, ECS Container Service, VPC, Route 53, CloudFront, AWS IoT Core, and ECR Container Registry (ECR).
The solution was implemented in accordance with AWS well-architected framework and as a result of that:
- Performant and efficient
- Cost Optimized
The complexity of relationships between AWS building blocks is depicted in the diagram above.
High standards in regards to defect detection were met:
- To sharply see 2 mm elements on the picture it is required to have a density of 0,3 mm/pixel resolution. In this way, 2 mm2 on the picture will be backed by 36 physical pixels.
Software challenges were resolved:
- Portal, which ConDoor can use to respond to quality claims, was created;
- Local software for cameras and handheld devices was provided;
- AWS Lambda functions are used for image adjustment purposes.
Environmental challenges were resolved:
- Dustproof hardware was used;
- Industrial grade hardware is able to tolerate heat radiating from infra-red heaters in winters or operate stably during hot summers.
- Lack of day-light was resolved by switching to high-frequency LED lamps.
Technical challenges were easy to tackle with AWS help:
- QA evidence is gathered by local hardware which is presented to AWS cloud as IoT Devices;
- QA evidence is being stored in S3 where the total volume of data and number of images is unlimited.
- Amazon S3 Glacier was used as a secure, durable, and low-cost cloud storage for data archiving.
Discover the next steps
This project is just a first step in a much bigger programme which Synadia executes for ConDoor – Smart Factory 2.0.
In the next project Synadia will evaluate the efficiency of other manufacturing processes and will enhance them to the max by removing the need to print and perform manual activities.
This is how Synadia sees ConDoor in the near future: “All tasks in every process are well organized, sequenced and controlled. “Stacks of paper” and “manual checklists” are history. The planning department and people on the floor work in harmony. Workflows are transparent and can be tracked in real-time on monitoring screens. ConDoor has become a “green” company that reduced the carbon footprint.”
About Synadia Software
Synadia is ACE eligible Select Consulting Partner founded in 2016 with a strong focus on serverless, IoT and industrial cloud solutions. Synadia is a young, ambitious and innovative company which firmly believes nothing is impossible.
The Synadia explorers use innovation to create new opportunities. To allow things to happen which their clients never thought possible before. Synadia’s ambition is to get advanced partner status next year. Synadia practices DevOps and Continuous Delivery in every project they do.